Online Training Programs
The Portland Marathon has teamed up with ActiveTrainer coaches to create Marathon, Marathon Walk, Half Marathon, 10K Non-competitive Walking and 5 Miler-competitive run training programs that are a balance of aerobic, anaerobic and cross-training workouts. These training programs are built to get people of all levels across the finish line. Whether you are brand-new to running or a veteran getting back into the sport and are thinking of signing up for the Portland Marathon or 1/2 Marathon, you are invited to join our training program!
Portland Marathon Training Clinic
The Portland Marathon Clinic offers several programs leading to the successful completion of the Portland Marathon. Established in 1984 the Clinic has helped thousands of runners and walkers complete their first Marathon and 100′s of others to achieve their personal bests. It provides proven, safe and supported programs. It is the sanctioned official training program for the Portland Marathon.
Portland Galloway Training Program
Jeff Galloway’s run-walk-run method is a great training program that can help you prepare for the Portland Marathon or 1/2 Marathon without the risk of injury. Olympian Jeff Galloway, is the author of the best-selling running book in North America and a columnist for Runner’s World magazine, and has helped runners of all abilities reach their running goals. Whether you are training for the full marathon or the half marathon, Jeff’s run-walk-run method will get you through to the finish line.
The Portland Galloway Training Clinic is offering a 30-week training program beginning on March 17th for the full marathon and a 17-week program beginning on June 16th for the half marathon. Whether you are brand-new to running or a veteran getting back into the sport and are thinking of signing up for the 2012 Portland Marathon or 1/2 Marathon, you are invited to join our training program!
Portland Half Marathon Training – Presented by Wonders of Walking
What: Group training is more effective than training alone. You’ll improve your technique. Learn how to pace yourself. Improve your performance with personalized coaching in a group setting. Finish feeling good!
Who: Do you want to be a fitter, faster, more fluid walker? Do you enjoy the camaraderie of training with others? Would you like to improve your Half Marathon time?
Where: Group trainings will rotate locations: Waterfront, Mt. Tabor, Track, Course
When: June 16 – September 22, 2013
Meets every other week for a specific training segment
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM
Optional group walks TBD
What you need to know: Hands-on, personalized attention gives you the opportunity to create the change you want in your walking performance. You can cross the finish line healthy and vibrant!
What You Will Receive in this Program:
- This 16-week training program begins June 17 meeting every other week through September 30.
- We will meet at four different locations for specific training related to walking technique, movement and gait, address muscular strengths and imbalances; including mobility and flexibility drills as well as stretching components; heart rate training, training principles, speed, legal racewalk competition, building your skills to compete in or finish the Portland Half Marathon.
- Weekly email tips
- Race strategies
- You will receive hands-on-coaching from Judy Heller, who achieved All American Standards in race walking for the 1-mile, 5K and 10K in 2011 for her age group and has trained many Portland Marathon walkers!
- Increase your walking speed and distance
- Increase your ability to climb hills
- Maintain form and sprinting ability at the end of a race
- For race walkers, learn to maintain legal race walk form throughout the event
- Decrease your risk of first time walking injuries
- Decrease your risk of re-injury
- Lots of Fun!!
Wonders of Walking is USA Track and Field Club #978. For more information and to register for the program, check out our website: WondersofWalking.com
We hope that YOU will join us!
A Portland Marathon Partner Event is a running or walking event promoted by The Portland Marathon as an interesting, challenging, fun, and well administered event that can potentially be participated in as part of training for The Portland Marathon in October.