The team captain fee is in addition to the registration fee. This fee covers the event administration fees of providing teams with web pages and management tools as you’ll read about below. Many teams, competitive and non competitive are corporate teams and therefore the fee is paid by the employer sponsoring team participation in the event. Then internal company competitions are set up for fun and to encourage wellness and employee camaraderie.
How Do I Create A Team?
To create a team you must first choose a Team Captain.
Team Captain Instructions:
- Team Captains need to register in the “Team Captains – Create & Pay for your team here”category, BEFORE you register for the event. When creating your team you will select your team name, team password (optional), category and division. You will be charged a $100 Team fee. (As Team Captain you will have access to the team information via the back office feature of Team Registration, once this team is created. See: Additional Information at the end of this page)
- After you have completed the team creation process you must now go back and register for your event. You will choose your team name from the drop down box on the registration form. PLEASE NOTE: all team members must participate in the same event to be on a team.
- Provide your Team Name (and team password if applicable) to all individuals who want to be on your Team. They will then register and choose your team name from the drop down box on the registration form during individual event registration.
- Maintain contact with team members and manage your team roster online. Roster changes are accepted until September 14, 2012. No exceptions.
- Designate a meeting area for team members before and after the race. The Marathon does not have a designated meeting area for teams.
- Verify team information by visiting the event info booth at the expo on Fri/Sat before the event.
Which Events are open to Team participation?
All Marathon events are open to Team participation. Teams members must participate in the same event to be on a team. Teams may also be competitive or non-competitive. Only competitive teams will be eligible for timing and awards. Events include: Marathon Run, Marathon Walk, Half Marathon Run, Half Marathon Walk, 10K-Non Competitive Walk, and 10K Downhill Dash Competitive Run.
Competitive vs. Non-Competitive Team Information
Competitive teams are eligible for awards. Only the first three (3) finishers’ times in the team event will count toward the team score and division award. The awards given for competitive teams are very nice and recipients rave about them each year. However, even noncompetitive teams, who are ineligible for awards from the event, can create a nice award from their own company. For example, one department competes against another department and an internal program gets the employees training and having fun and then sets up their own competition and award system.
Active.com provides a Team Center for each Team Captain to access. The Team Center includes various tools that will be helpful to the Team Captain through the course of registration, including the ability to view the team roster, download team reports, email team members, invite others to join their team, etc. You can access your Team Center at www.active.com/teams. Because this team Center accesses team member information, the site is password-protected. This is why the Team Captain is required to login with his/her Active.com username and password (or establish a new account) at the time of creating a team. If you need assistance in creating your Active.com user account, please contact Active.com Customer Support t 1-877-228-4881 or firstname.lastname@example.org.