PORTLAND MARATHON Spectators’ Guide
Note: Participant tracking will be available on our web site the weekend of the event!
Every year runners & walkers consistently say how wonderful the spectators are throughout the course and are so encouraged along the way because of their enthusiastic support. We would like to help spectators find the best spot to cheer runners on, with the following suggestions.
DOWNTOWN, due to its proximity to the start and finish areas, is a great area to observe:
- East on NW Couch to SW Naito Parkway (Front Ave.)
- South on SW Naito Parkway to SW Harrison (mile 1 to approx. mile 3)
- All SW Naito Parkway (mile 4 to 11). Runners pass twice on Naito Parkway between NW 17th Ave. and the turnaround past mile 9.
- From NW 17th Ave. and west on Raleigh to mile 12
- Toward the finish area on the last mile of the marathon, along NW Broadway to Couch, left (east) to SW Naito, right (south) to Salmon at mile 26.
Between mile 19 and 20 on Willamette Blvd. 1-5 North, take the Lombard West exit, follow until Olin Ave. or Portsmouth Ave. Take a left on either of the two until Willamette Blvd.
Between mile 21 and 22 on Willamette Blvd. I-5 North to Rosa Parks Way, Exit 304. Turn left at end of exit and follow Rosa Parks to Willamette. Willamette will be closed off. Park on adjacent side streets such as N. Curtis, N. Knowles or N. Villard, and walk to Willamette Blvd.
Restrictions are in effect for the following areas:
- Before the start: all spectators are prohibited in the assembly area on SW Salmon between SW 4th and SW Naito Blvd.
- No spectators between Mile 13 and 18 due to safety issues, including no safe parking, and high-speed, heavy truck traffic on Hwy30/ St Helens Rd.
- NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED ON THE SOUTH SIDEWALK OF THE ST. JOHNS BRIDGE
- NO SPECTATORS ALLOWED AFTER THE TURN AT SALMON and Naito JUST AFTER MILE 26. This is part of the participants only, restricted finish area. Family and friends must go to the reunion area on SW Taylor between 1st and 3rd avenues to meet up with finishers.
Information regarding Tri-met transportation should be prearranged due to possible route and schedule changes. Tri-met information is 503-238-7433 and they are open weekdays only, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. or visit: www.trimet.org.